Friday, September 14, 2007

True Landscape Architecture


Most of you know that I'm a Landscape Architect in training and Becky posted some images of some projects that I was working on in Mexico. But I also do other work besides deciding where people should plant their grass. Last week one of the projects I had the opportunity to work on opened. Becky and I got to go to the opening party and have cocktails and dinner with the whos who of Phoenix. It was 2 years behind schedule and way over budget but it turned out awesome. Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA) in on the south bank of the Rio Salado next to the west dam.



It was a great learning experience working on a such a huge public project with so many consultants. It is amazing that any public project gets built with all the politics involved. If you have a chance to go down to Tempe Beach Park make sure you keep heading west to check out the 17 acre park attached to TCA and the 18,000 sq ft reflection pool with a negative edge that wraps around the art center. There is a mound of gray/blue river rock that is in the reflection pool. When it rains the roof drains to the point of the mount.





Also if you haven't been to the Mesa Arts Center in Downtown Mesa you should check that out. It has an artificial a arroyo that fills up with water and drains that runs through the middle of the project. A great place to take the kids and let them splash around. There are also some really cool water tables and the Architecture is probably the best there is in Mesa. I was able to work on this project when I first got out of school.








3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Could a mother be any more proud? And I did know that you don't just "plant grass"!! These projects are beautiful and amazing. I'm so glad you are loving what you do! When do I get my yard done? I know it gives you a nervous twitch every time you come. Love you guys. Mom

The Dunford Family said...

Cool pictures! It's fun to see and hear about what you're doing! I'm glad you and Becky got to go out and have some fun!

KatieJ said...

Very cool- I think Stacy Brinkerhoff's husband was on one of the construction crews for that- I forget the name of his company but she told me how they went to that opening party thing and they had really good tiny desserts!