Friday, September 7, 2007

Some New Favorite Recipes

Breakfasts are really hard for me. I hate to wake up in the morning, so I usually crawl out of bed too late to make anything REAL from scratch. So , I was delighted when I came across this recipe for my own "instant pancake" mix. My family absolutely loved it (and they are pretty finicky when it comes to breakfast foods--especially Jeramy). And, while personally I'm not a fan of buttermilk pancakes, I like that I really am making them from scratch! The ingredients stay fresh for 3 months and its as easy as using Bisquick. Check it out!
For those of you who know me, I love to cook. There are maybe 7 recipes that I reuse over and over. Every other recipe is usually a "new" one. Anyway, I am getting this new magazine and I love it. Not only does each issue give the recipes, but they also includes an explanation of how they figured out how to make it perfect. The last issue gave the recipe for the worlds juiciest (well done) cheeseburger. And believe me, there is NOTHING in this world that in better tasting than Cheeseburgers. But it also gives a whole bunch of weeknight 30 minute dishes. Everything I have made is super tasty and fairly simple. Here is just one recipe that was easy and good enough for even my picky children to enjoy:
BLT Salad

¾ c. Mayonnaise
4 (1-inch-thick) slices Italian Bread
12 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
3-4 cups grape or cherry tomatoes (halved)
3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 (10 ounce) bag chopped romaine lettuce (or one head romaine lettuce chopped)
Salt and Pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Spread ¼ cup mayonnaise over both sides of bread and transfer to baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, and then cut into 1 inch croutons.

2. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Discard drippings.

3. Whisk remaining mayonnaise and vinegar in large bowl. Add bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and croutons and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

3 comments:

davidandsuzi said...

It's been a while since I've checked everyones blogs so I thought I'd comment on all the new posts since the last time I've been here.
I love that Cooper's reaction was to plug his ears when the fish was out of the water. I now wish I would have gone to that book signing, it looked very interesting. I'm so glad the boys are excited about school. I hope for you that enthusiasm lasts all year long! You look gorgeous in the Flagstaff pic!

KatieJ said...

This sounds SO good! Sam is only eating turkey bacon currently- do you think that would still be good? Post more recipes! I hate to try new things, unless I know they are good already.

KatieJ said...

I just read the funny sayings on the side there and I had to laugh that Jackson says his body makes him lie- Gracie has been saying that her "mind makes her do bad things" lately- I think it's funny how alike they are.