Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Sensitive Boys



Today I stayed home from church with 3 "sick" kids. (Runny noses are justification for missing church because I don't want them passing them on.) Anyway, Jackson asked to watch the "dog" movie we had borrowed from Grandma, so I put in "Where the Red Fern Grows", then went upstairs to clean up my bed room.

When I finally came back downstairs, movie was just about over so I sat and watched the sad ending from behind the Sawyer and Jackson who were sitting on the couch. I went to turn off the DVD player and turned around to see Jackson with tears streaking down his face. I went and sat with him on the couch and gave him a hug. He said, "Was that a real story?" I told him no. (I know it's based on a true story but a heartbroken 6 year old doesn't need to know that.) We talked and he was really crying hard. I was hugging him, and turned to check on Sawyer but before I could even ask if he was OK, he quickly got off the couch and went into the kitchen with his back to us saying, "Aww man, I've got something in my eye." He didn't turn around for a while. So, I turned back to Jackson and told him that I cry in movies all the time and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Sawyer seemed to have composed himself, so he came and stood behind the couch to listen to what I was telling Jackson. Jackson said, "But the dogs are up in Heaven, right? So he'll get to see them again someday, right?" and before I could answer, Sawyer said, "Yeah, just like Bean (our deceased frog)." His voice broke while he was saying it and rather than letting us see him cry, he said, "I gotta go get something upstairs." So stinking cute!

Sometimes I am amazed by how sensitive my boys are, but I am so thankful for it. It was so sweet to see Jackson, who is my tough one, crying over the poor dead dogs. And Sawyer, who is the most affectionate child I've ever seen, trying to be tough. They really do surprise you sometimes.

2 comments:

goofy feet said...

that is so sweet Becky. it's good for boys to have a cry every now and then!

Unknown said...

That's so sweet Becky. My kids were just as traumatized when we read that book. Such a good book though!!! So many lessons and paralels.